Neohapsis is currently accepting applications for employment. For more information, please visit our website www.neohapsis.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
From: Andreas Gustafsson (Andreas.Gustafssonnominum.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 22:32:40 CDT
BIND 9.2.0b1 is now available. This is the first beta release of
BIND 9.2.0, which contains a number of new features over BIND 9.1.
Several bugs have been fixed and some minor features have been
added since 9.2.0a3.
The OpenSSL library is no longer included with the distribution.
This means that to use DNSSEC, OpenSSL must be installed and the
--with-openssl option must be supplied to configure. This does not
apply to the use of TSIG, which does not require OpenSSL.
BIND 9.2.0b1 can be downloaded from
The PGP signature of the distribution is at
The signature was generated with the ISC public key, which is available
A list of changes made since 9.2.0a1 follows. For earlier changes,
see the file CHANGES in the distribution.
--- 9.2.0b1 released ---
939. [port] Add the --disable-linux-caps option to configure for
systems that manage capabilities outside of named.
937. [bug] A race when shutting down a zone could trigger a
INSIST() failure. [RT #1034]
936. [func] Warn about IPv4 addresses that are not complete
dotted quads. [RT #1084]
935. [bug] inet_pton failed to reject leading zeros.
934. [port] Deal with systems where accept() spuriously returns
933. [bug] configure failed doing libbind on platforms not
supported by BIND 8. [RT #1496]
--- 9.2.0a3 released ---
932. [bug] Use INSTALL_SCRIPT, not INSTALL_PROGRAM,
when installing isc-config.sh.
[RT #198, #1466]
931. [bug] The controls statement only attempted to verify
messages using the first key in the key list.
930. [func] Query performance testing tool added as
928. [bug] nsupdate would send empty update packets if the
send (or empty line) command was run after
another send but before any new updates or
prerequisites were specified. It should simply
ignore this command.
927. [bug] Don't hold the zone lock for the entire dump to disk.
926. [bug] The resolver could deadlock with the ADB when
shutting down (multithreaded builds only).
925. [cleanup] Remove openssl from the distribution; require that
--with-openssl be specified if DNSSEC is needed.
924. [port] Extend support for pre-RFC2133 IPv6 implementation.
923. [bug] Multiline TSIG secrets (and other multiline strings)
were not accepted in named.conf. [RT #1469]
922. [func] Added two new lwres_getrrsetbyname() result codes,
ERR_NONAME and ERR_NODATA.
921. [bug] lwres returned an incorrect error code if it received
a truncated message.
920. [func] Increase the lwres receive buffer size to 16K.
918. [func] In nsupdate, TSIG errors are no longer treated as
917. [func] New nsupdate command 'key', allowing TSIG keys to
be specified in the nsupdate command stream rather
than the command line.
916. [bug] Specifying type ixfr to dig without specifying
a serial number failed in unexpected ways.
915. [func] The named-checkconf and named-checkzone programs
now have a '-v' option for printing their version.
914. [bug] Global 'server' statements were rejected when
using views, even though they were accepted
in 9.1. [RT #1368]
913. [bug] Cache cleaning was not sufficiently aggressive.
[RT #1441, #1444]
912. [bug] Attempts to set the 'additional-from-cache' or
'additional-from-auth' option to 'no' in a
server with recursion enabled will now
be ignored and cause a warning message.
910. [port] Some pre-RFC2133 IPv6 implementations do not define
IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT. [RT #1416]
908. [func] New program, rndc-confgen, to simplify setting up rndc.
907. [func] The ability to get entropy from either the
random device, a user-provided file or from
the keyboard was migrated from the DNSSEC tools
to libisc as isc_entropy_usebestsource().
906. [port] Separated the system independent portion of
lib/isc/unix/entropy.c into lib/isc/entropy.c
and added lib/isc/win32/entropy.c.
905. [bug] Configuring a forward "zone" for the root domain
did not work. [RT #1418]
904. [bug] The server would leak memory if attempting to use
an expired TSIG key. [RT #1406]
903. [bug] dig should not crash when receiving a TCP packet
of length 0.
902. [bug] The -d option was ignored if both -t and -g were also
900. [bug] A config.guess update changed the system identification
string of FreeBSD systems; configure and
bin/tests/system/ifconfig.sh now recognize the new
--- 9.2.0a2 released ---
899. [bug] lib/dns/soa.c failed to compile on many platforms
due to inappropriate use of a void value.
[RT #1372, #1373, #1386, #1387, #1395]
898. [bug] "dig" failed to set a nonzero exit status
on UDP query timeout. [RT #1323]
897. [bug] A config.guess update changed the system identification
string of UnixWare systems; configure now recognizes
the new string.
896. [bug] If a configuration file is set on named's command line
and it has a relative pathname, the current directory
(after any possible jailing resulting from named -t)
will be prepended to it so that reloading works
properly even when a directory option is present.
895. [func] New function, isc_dir_current(), akin to POSIX's
894. [bug] When using the DNSSEC tools, a message intended to warn
when the keyboard was being used because of the lack
of a suitable random device was not being printed.
893. [func] Removed isc_file_test() and added isc_file_exists()
for the basic functionality that was being added
891. [bug] Return an error when a SIG(0) signed response to
an unsigned query is seen. This should actually
do the verification, but it's not currently
possible. [RT #1391]
890. [cleanup] The man pages no longer require the mandoc macros
and should now format cleanly using most versions of
nroff, and HTML versions of the man pages have been
added. Both are generated from DocBook source.
889. [port] Eliminated blank lines before .TH in nroff man
pages since they cause problems with some versions
of nroff. [RT #1390]
888. [bug] Don't die when using TKEY to delete a nonexistent
TSIG key. [RT #1392]
887. [port] Detect broken compilers that can't call static
functions from inline functions. [RT #1212]
866. [func] Close debug only file channels when debug is set to
zero. [RT #1246]
865. [bug] The new configuration parser did not allow
the optional debug level in a "severity debug"
clause of a logging channel to be omitted.
This is now allowed and treated as "severity
debug 1;" like it does in BIND 8.2.4, not as
"severity debug 0;" like it did in BIND 9.1.
864. [cleanup] Multithreading is now enabled by default on
OSF1, Solaris 2.7 and newer, AIX, IRIX, and HP-UX.
863. [bug] If an error occurred while an outgoing zone transfer
was starting up, the server could access a domain
name that had already been freed when logging a
message saying that the transfer was starting.
862. [bug] Use after realloc(), non portable pointer arithmetic in
861. [port] Add support for Mac OS X, by making it equivalent
to Darwin. This was derived from the config.guess
file shipped with Mac OS X. [RT #1355]
860. [func] Drop cross class glue in zone transfers.
859. [bug] Cache cleaning now won't swamp the CPU if there
is a persistent overlimit condition.
858. [func] isc_mem_setwater() no longer requires that when the
callback function is non-NULL then its hi_water
argument must be greater than its lo_water argument
(they can now be equal) or that they be non-zero.
857. [cleanup] Use ISC_MAGIC() to define all magic numbers for
structs, for our friends in EBCDIC-land.
856. [func] Allow partial rdatasets to be returned in answer and
authority sections to help non-TCP capable clients
recover from truncation. [RT #1301]
855. [bug] Stop spurious "using RFC 1035 TTL semantics" warnings.
854. [bug] The config parser didn't properly handle config
options that were specified in units of time other
than seconds. [RT #1372]
853. [bug] configure_view_acl() failed to detach existing acls.
852. [bug] Handle responses from servers which do not know
851. [cleanup] The obsolete support-ixfr option was not properly
--- 9.2.0a1 released ---