Neohapsis is currently accepting applications for employment. For more information, please visit our website www.neohapsis.com or email email@example.com
Re: Internet WormF. L. Charles Seeger III (seegercis.ufl.edu)
Tue, 18 Oct 1994 21:09:46 -0400
- Messages sorted by: [ date ][ thread ][ subject ][ author ]
- Next message: John Abreau: "Re: chmod 000 .rhosts - works?"
- Previous message: Mark W. Eichin: "Re: Internet Worm"
- In reply to: jimTadpole.COM: "Re: Internet Worm"
- Next in thread: jimTadpole.COM: "Re: Internet Worm"
+------ jimTadpole.COM wrote (Tue, 18-Oct-94, 13:57 -0500): | | Sun (at least in SunOS 4) didn't do any "mucking about" with | libresolv and YP in libc. Wrongo!. Sun changed the semantics of the gethostbyaddr() resolver function and changed several programs, including rlogin, to depend on the changed semantics for security. The change has gethostbyaddr() checking its result with a call to gethostbyname(), i.e. checking that the DNS has both a PTR record and a matching A record for that IP address and associated host name. The intent is to prevent spoofing. IMHO, this ought to be done either in the application program or in a separate library call. Regards, Chuck