Bugtraq archives for 4th quarter (Oct-Dec) 1995: Re: s-bits disappear ?

Re: s-bits disappear ?

Neil Readwin (nreadwinLONDON.MICROGNOSIS.COM)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:44:00 +0100

Bernd Lehle writes:
> The following investigation yielded: The s-bits of /sbin/ps, /sbin/su
> and /bin/mail had disappeared.

Last time I saw this was on a SunOS 4 machine. I suspect that one of the
people with root access did an rcp and instead of ~/bin typed ~bin or just
/bin but noone admitted having done so :-)

ObBug:

        On some platforms tip will follow symlinks when reading ~/.tiprc,
        so 'tip -v' can be used to read non-comment lines in uucp files
        like /etc/uucp/Systems (which means any local user can get the uucp
        passwords for machines you call).

Neil.
--
 nreadwinmicrognosis.co.uk       Phone: +1 908 855 1221 x519
 Anything is a cause for sorrow that my mind or body has made