Bugtraq archives for 4th quarter (Oct-Dec) 1997: Re: HP Laserjet 4M Plus DirectJet Problem

Re: HP Laserjet 4M Plus DirectJet Problem

David LeBlanc (dleblancMINDSPRING.COM)
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:22:29 -0400

At 06:02 PM 10/4/97 -0300, Klaus Steding-Jessen wrote:

>        Find this kind of printer  on a network is  quite easy with  a
>good port scanner.  It  responds to ping and listens  on tcp ports 23,
>515, 9099 and 9100.

That's interesting.  We've also determined that the ISS Scanner will take
down these printers, but unfortunately we haven't determined exactly why.
Just a port scan won't do it, but a full-bore scan will.  If anyone has any
theories on just why these things go toes up, I'd be interested -
conversely, if we do manage to figure this one out, I'll be glad to post it.

David LeBlanc           |Why would you want to have your desktop user,
dleblancmindspring.com |your mere mortals, messing around with a 32-bit