Bugtraq archives for 4th quarter (Oct-Dec) 1998: Re: Exploitable buffer overflow in bootpd (most unices)

Re: Exploitable buffer overflow in bootpd (most unices)

Chris Evans (chrisFERRET.LMH.OX.AC.UK)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:42:21 +0000

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Willem Pinckaers wrote:

> We don't know of any unix system that is NOT vulnerable to this problem.
> Exploit code was tested against linux systems running debian 2.0 (glibc), and
> debian 1.3, both running bootpd 2.4.3.

This is old news. I spotted the problem several months ago.

For a non-vulnerable UNIX system try Redhat-5.2. Regardless, RedHat don't
enable bootpd by default (dhcp is used).

Oh, I think OpenBSD fixed this too. One of the few vendors who actually
take note when you explain there is a security bug.

Chris