Bugtraq archives for 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun) 1999: Re: NT/Exceed D.O.S.

Re: NT/Exceed D.O.S.

Ian Westcott (rakarraPACBELL.NET)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:39:00 -0700

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 01:29:26PM -0700, LaFournaise, Chris J. wrote:
> This is regarding Hummingbird's Exceed X emulator v5 (and possibly v6)
> running on Windows NT.  I haven't tested Win95/98.
>
> The Exceed X server allows inbound TCP connections on port 6000 from the XDM
> host.  If someone uses telnet from the XDM host to connect to a PC running
> Exceed on port 6000 and enters any garbage text, the X server will hang and
> the Exceed session is frozen for good.

I just tested Exceed v6.0 under Win95, and it is vulnerable.
--

     Ian Westcott      | Fly away to a Rainbow in the sky.
ijwestcottucdavis.edu | Gold is at the end for each of us to find.