Subject: OpenLinux 2.3: rpm_query
From: harikiri (harikiEL8.ORG)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 14:32:04 CST

This was observed on an OpenLinux 2.3 system, after performing a full
insallation of all packages.

NOTE: I didn't see anything on this in the Bugtraq archive, so I'm
assuming it's not a known issue.

[rootnoname /root]# rpm -q -f /home/httpd/cgi-bin/rpm_query
OpenLinux-2.3-16
[rootnoname /root]#

Issue

The rpm_query cgi allows any individual who can connect to the web server
to obtain a listing of all rpm's installed on the system.

Impact

Attackers may use this information to identify what vulnerable software
packages have been installed.

Recommendation

If this cgi is not required:

        # chmod 0 /home/httpd/cgi-bin/rpm_query

If it is required, use Apache's access control features to restrict who
may use it.

harikiri

--
"Unless you enter the tiger's lair, you cannot get hold of the tiger's cubs."