Subject: More about UW c-client library
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen (juhtolvST.JYU.FI)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 16:18:14 CDT

Here is more information about that bug.

http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=70647

It seems, that they will have some patch real soon:

(CLIP HERE)

> Upon a quick glance, there indeed appears to be no checks at all
> for buffer overflows. A buf of 8k is allocated into which the
> From:, Status:, X-Status, and X-Keywords: headers are placed,
> with simple
>
> sprintf (buf + strlen (buf),"...
>
> commands. So having extremely long X-Keywords in mail messages
> will screw things up. Double yuck.
>
> This is in imap-4.7c/src/osdep/unix/unix.c BTW.
>
> See the original message and the accompanying thread in debian-devel,
> archive/latest/67244 , Message-ID <39AD820C.6AD0818Caxis.com> from
> Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <ciiaxis.com>

Ok, I've patched unix.c to use snprintf(3) instead of sprintf(3). This
is
only the tip of the iceberg however. There is a source code scanner
called its4 which checks for unsafe coding practices and I ran it on
imapd. The report was about a mile long :(

(CLIP HERE)

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * * U of Jyväskylä * * juhtolvst.jyu.fi
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/index.html * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW!"