From: pphk.at
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 18:35:30 CDT

    Hello

    I recently discovered a bug in gnut, a console/www Gnutella client for Linux
    and Windows, that allows the injection of html code in the Search Result Page
    of the Webfrontend.
    This is done by sharing a file with html tags embedded.
    test<HR>.mp3 for example
    More complex things are possible with Javascript and shared Subdirectories.
    The html code will be displayed in the browser of every gnut webfrontend user,
    who gets that file as a search result.
    The risk is increased by the fact that the webfrontend is often run from
    localhost, thus circumventing many browser security policies/settings.
    This was true for my browser settings which allowed javascript from
    localhost, while not doing so for remote hosts in general.

    I contacted the author, who responded and addressed the problem quickly.
    The most recent version of gnut, 0.4.27, has already been patched as I write
    this.
    It is available here:
            http://www.gnutelliums.com/linux_unix/gnut/tars/gnut-0.4.27.tar.gz

    Philipp Krammer