Neohapsis is currently accepting applications for employment. For more information, please visit our website www.neohapsis.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Privilege escalation flaw in AClient Service for Windows (Version 5.6.181).
From: Reed Arvin (reedarvingmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 00:10:54 CST
A privilege escalation flaw exists in the AClient Service for Windows (Version 5.6.181) (http://www.altiris.com/).
A privilege escalation technique can be used to gain SYSTEM level
access while interacting with the AClient Service for Windows tray icon.
Altiris Deployment Solution 5.6 SP1 (Hotfix E)
The vendor was notified of the issue. There was no technical response. The vendor will not give support without a support contract.
1. Right click on the Altiris Client Service icon in the Taskbar and choose View Log File
2. Notepad should open. Click File, click Open
3. In the Files of type: field choose All Files
4. Navagate to %WINDIR%\System32\
5. Right click on cmd.exe and choose Open
6. A new command shell with launch with SYSTEM privileges
Discovered by Reed Arvin reedarvin[at]gmail[dot]com