Re: PHP as a secure language? PHP worms? [was: Re: new linux malware]

From: Kevin Waterson (kevinoceania.net)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 21:45:27 CST

This one time, at band camp, Chad Maron <chadsimianworks.net> wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, PHP is one of the better languages out there it's just that lazy and incompetent pseudo-developers get their hands on tutorial code and copy-paste it into oblivion.

agreed, however PHP core Developers will often overlook the PHP communities
cries for security tools to implement secure practises.
The filter extension goes a long way to addressing this, but still we see issues
such as deprecated extensions like the Mimetype Functions that leave a gaping hole
in validation of file types without installing extra's from PECL (FileInfo) which is
not always available to the person, particularly in a shared hosting environment.