Re: squirrelmail CSRF vulnerability

From: Josh Zlatin-Amishav (joshramat.cc)
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 14:09:37 CDT

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Tim Newsham wrote:

>> 1.4.8-4 is vulnerable to a XSS vulnerability, so an attacker could use the
>> XSS vector to grab the session token ("CSRF token") and continue the CSRF
>> attack.
>
> This might just be semantics: I wouldn't consider the XSS attack to be a
> CSRF attack.

The point is, if the application is vulnerable to an XSS vulnerability
then having a CSRF token wont protect you from a CSRF attack. The
attacker could use the XSS vector to steal the CSRF token, much like the
Samy worm worked.

>The XSS script runs in the same context that the user or any
> legitimate script running on behalf of the user runs. When it makes a
> reference, it has access to things like the CSRF token.

Exactly, thus the CSRF token wont be much help in protection you from a
CSRF attack, if the attacker can just parse out that token and use it in
CSRF attack.

--
  - Josh