From: Richard Levitte (levitteopenssl.org)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 14:10:48 CDT

    As a few people noticed, not only was the announcement of OpenSSL 0.9.6b sent
    more than once (due to, eh, technical error...), but the version number was
    0.9.6a everywhere in the message body!

    So, with my deepest appologies, here is the correct text:

      OpenSSL version 0.9.6b released
      ===============================

      OpenSSL - The Open Source toolkit for SSL/TLS
      http://www.openssl.org/

      The OpenSSL project team is pleased to announce the release of version
      0.9.6b of our open source toolkit for SSL/TLS. This new OpenSSL version
      is mostly a bugfix release and incorporates at least 55 changes to the
      toolkit (for a complete list see http://www.openssl.org/source/exp/CHANGES).

      The most significant changes are:

          o Security fix: PRNG improvements.
          o Security fix: RSA OAEP check.
          o Security fix: Reinsert and fix countermeasure to Bleichbacher's
            attack.
          o MIPS bug fix in BIGNUM.
          o Bug fix in "openssl enc".
          o Bug fix in X.509 printing routine.
          o Bug fix in DSA verification routine and DSA S/MIME verification.
          o Bug fix to make PRNG thread-safe.
          o Bug fix in RAND_file_name().
          o Bug fix in compatibility mode trust settings.
          o Bug fix in blowfish EVP.
          o Increase default size for BIO buffering filter.
          o Compatibility fixes in some scripts.

      We consider OpenSSL 0.9.6b to be the best version of OpenSSL available and we
      strongly recommend that users of older versions, especially of old SSLeay
      versions, upgrade as soon as possible. OpenSSL 0.9.6b is available for
      download via HTTP and FTP from the following master locations (you can find
      the various FTP mirrors under http://www.openssl.org/source/mirror.html):

        o http://www.openssl.org/source/
        o ftp://ftp.openssl.org/source/

      [1] OpenSSL comes in the form of two distributions this time.
      The reasons for this is that we want to deploy the external crypto device
      support but don't want to have it part of the "normal" distribution just
      yet. The distribution containing the external crypto device support is
      popularly called "engine", and is considered experimental. It's been
      fairly well tested on Unix and flavors thereof. If run on a system with
      no external crypto device, it will work just like the "normal" distribution.

      The distribution file names are:

          o openssl-0.9.6b.tar.gz [normal]
          o openssl-engine-0.9.6b.tar.gz [engine]

      Yours,
      The OpenSSL Project Team...

        Mark J. Cox Richard Levitte Andy Polyakov
        Ralf S. Engelschall Bodo Möller Holger Reif
        Dr. Stephen Henson Ulf Möller Geoff Thorpe
        Ben Laurie Lutz Jänicke