[Dataloss] OfficeMax: No evidence of security breach

From: lyger (lygerattrition.org)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 22:31:55 CST

(follow-up to earlier post)

http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-6049758.html?part=rss&tag=6049758&subj=news

  Following an extensive review of its security systems, OfficeMax says it
has no reason to believe it was the company that suffered the data breach
that resulted in thousands of cases of debit card fraud.

On Tuesday, the office-supply chain said that an independent study by a
security expert found no indication that the company's customer
information was lost. An internal investigation came to the same
conclusion.

"OfficeMax takes the security of our customers' information with the
utmost seriousness and is committed to protecting private customer
information," the company said in a statement. "As we have stated
consistently, we have no knowledge of a security breach at OfficeMax."

But the company wouldn't explain why it was still involved in the
investigation into the debit card thefts.