[Dataloss] PA: Computer Breach Exposes Students' Social Security Numbers

From: lyger (lygerattrition.org)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 07:51:47 CDT

(Note that the media source was directly involved in the data
disclosure...)

Courtesy Mike Hill (MKEVHILL_at_aol.com)

(http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=6675365&nav=menu158_2)

The News-Item confirms one of its employees gained unauthorized access to
the Shamokin Area School District's computer database. It is the same
system that stores student's personal information, including social
security numbers.

That newspaper employee brought the security flaw to the attention of
school officials.

"Oh my god, people's identities are shot," Sol Bidding said, describing
his first reaction when he learned of the breach. It leaves open the idea
that anyone could have hacked their way into the system.

Superintendent James Zack sent a letter home to parents stating "Your
son/daughter/student's Standardized Assessment scores, local assessment
scores and Social Security numbers were contained in the system. We are
writing to you so that you can take steps to protect yourself from the
possibility of identity theft."

[...]