[Dataloss] follow-up: TJX Judge: Consumers Selling Vouchers Won't Cut It

From: security curmudgeon (jerichoattrition.org)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 07:28:31 CDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: InfoSec News <alertsinfosecnews.org>

By Evan Schuman
October 4, 2007

A U.S. District Court judge says the idea puts too much of the burden on
the consumers.

When U.S. District Court Judge William G. Young told lawyers Sept. 27 that
he had serious concerns about the proposed TJX settlement, he also took
issue with the part that would allow for consumers to turn the vouchers
into cash by selling them.

In a courtroom exchange, TJX attorney Harvey J. Wolkoff argued that there
is an easy way for a consumer to turn the vouchers into cash.

"These vouchers are fully transferable, so that someone can take a $30
voucher and sell it on eBayI've never done it myselfand get $25," Wolkoff
said.

Replied Young: "Too hard for me, Mr. Wolkoff. Too hard for me. These are
consumers. People know how to cash checks. Saying, 'Go to eBay and
negotiate it' won't cut it."

[..]