[Dataloss] FL: Bonanza for identity theft in trash behind Sarasota Blockbuster

From: lyger (lygerattrition.org)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 12:24:28 CDT

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20071023/NEWS/710230558

Jonathan Murray was fishing in a trash container for boxes Friday when he
found what could have been a thief's bonanza.

Amongst the trash from a Blockbuster video store were membership forms and
employment applications that included names, addresses, credit card
numbers and Social Security numbers.

"The sad part is that even after I told Blockbuster about it, I went back
the next day to go get some more boxes, and this time I found credit card
stuff," said Murray, a Sarasota resident.

Federal and state officials said no law was broken in the incident, but
Florida law puts the onus on Blockbuster to inform its customers of the
security lapse.

[...]