Re: [Dataloss] Account numbers of 21 million people illegally in circulation

From: TSG (tglasseyearthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 09:04:14 CST

security curmudgeon wrote:
> [...]
One of the key problems here in the US is that Bank's do not tell their
Charge Card customer's when numerous zero-dollar charges are made
against their accounts. I literally found NetFlix making Test Charges
as well as Gevalia sending me a starter kit based on numerous
zero-dollar and finally a single charge against that same card.

What I think the Bank's may be 'covering up' is an emerging GLBA
responsibility for disclosing these criminal actions of fraud-by-wire as
the basis of the charges. When they get a bunch of zero-dollar test
charges against an account they MUST react and notify the customer of
'actions which are suspicious at the very least'. This requirement will
paint a much more accurate picture of how many cards are actually in
circulation.

Todd Glassey