Re: [Dataloss] follow-up: Stolen city laptop recovered; workers' personal data not accessed

From: Stefan Wahe (smwahewisc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 08:37:51 CST

Living in Madison and working in IT Security, I do know that Madison
Police Department has a unit that conducts IT forensics on electronic
devices. They have the appropriate staff, resources and training to
make such determinations. Additionally they have state and university
resources at their availability with more than adequate training and
experience in IT forensics. I am aware of this because I have had the
opportunity to observe and work with them on other IT Security related
issues.

I hope this addresses your questions regarding the professionalism of
the Madison Police Department. Please remember that this is a public
forum and casting such doubts is not beneficial for those who are
working towards solutions in preventing data loss. As a CISSP I hope
that you are supportive of your colleagues in these efforts.

My question is if the thief was interested steeling sensitive
information off the device, would they then leave the device on city
bus? What is their motivation in that action?

Stefan Wahe
Stefan Wahe
University of Wisconsin - Madison
DoIT Applications and Information Security
smwahewisc.edu