[Dataloss] Virginia Health Data Potentially Held Hostage

From: lyger (lygerattrition.org)
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 13:57:59 CDT

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217201397&subSection=Cybercrime

An extortion demand posted on WikiLeaks seeks $10 million to return over 8
million patient records and 35 million prescriptions allegedly stolen from
Virginia Department of Health Professions.

The note reads: "ATTENTION VIRGINIA I have your sh**! In *my* possession,
right now, are 8,257,378 patient records and a total of 35,548,087
prescriptions. Also, I made an encrypted backup and deleted the original.
Unfortunately for Virginia, their backups seem to have gone missing, too.
Uhoh :("

The note goes on to demand $10 million within seven days, presumably from
the time the data was apparently seized on Thursday, April 30, in exchange
for the key to decrypt the encrypted backup.

[...]