[Dataloss] Virginia Health Data Potentially Held Hostage

From: lyger (lygerattrition.org)
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 13:57:59 CDT

An extortion demand posted on WikiLeaks seeks $10 million to return over 8
million patient records and 35 million prescriptions allegedly stolen from
Virginia Department of Health Professions.

The note reads: "ATTENTION VIRGINIA I have your sh**! In *my* possession,
right now, are 8,257,378 patient records and a total of 35,548,087
prescriptions. Also, I made an encrypted backup and deleted the original.
Unfortunately for Virginia, their backups seem to have gone missing, too.
Uhoh :("

The note goes on to demand $10 million within seven days, presumably from
the time the data was apparently seized on Thursday, April 30, in exchange
for the key to decrypt the encrypted backup.

Dataloss Mailing List (datalossdatalossdb.org)

CREDANT Technologies, a leader in data security, offers advanced data encryption solutions.
Protect sensitive data on desktops, laptops, smartphones and USB sticks transparently
across your enterprise to ensure regulatory compliance.