Subject: Re: [lwlan-user]: CompaqWL200+CiscoAP+Linux=Not_Working
From: Scott Franzyshen (sfranzyshenlazerlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 14:26:55 CST

Good News!
Lots of coffee & one really late night (4AM) and here is what I got worked
out so far.
I got a response from Vlad from the lwlan-user mailinglist (Thanks Vlad!)
that read;

*Vlad Wrote:
*You're having the same problem that I had with a Samsung card (which is
*basically the same as the compaq) - It never asks for an IRQ because in
*Windows it wouldn't need one.
*Mark pointed me to the fact that the CIS is outdated. I'm sure that you
*could get the updated info from either Compaq or Samsung, but I just
*using a defferent card altogether.
*notice that your /proc/interrupts doesn't list any IRQ's used by prism2_cs
*after you start PCMCIA.

So I ;

cat /proc/interrupts

and ...

  0: 399122 XT-PIC timer
  1: 646 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 11 XT-PIC serial
  8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
 11: 0 XT-PIC i82365 <- sure enough no prism2_cs
 13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
 14: 2103 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 1377 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0

He was right!

I remembered seeing pack_cis in the man pages for dump_cis and I looked into
Turns out that the answer to our problem has been in the pcmcia-cs package
all this time. I think ... Here is what I did.

dump_cis >WL200.cis

Edited the WL200.cis to match the ones found in the etc/cis folder of the
pcmcia-cs source code
striping the stuff off at the top;

Socket 0:
    NULL 0ns, 512b

I also had to remove the lines that read;

  lan_technology wireless
  lan_speed 1 mb/sec
  lan_speed 2 mb/sec
  lan_media 2.4_GHz
  lan_node_id 00 50 8b 46 c0 ab <- still shows up with ifconfig (?)
  lan_connector Closed connector standard

because the pack_cis program couldn't understand them (would like to keep
what the Compaq had? Are these needed?)

then I added;

  irq mask 0xffff [level] <- guessing this would work

I was then able to use the pack_cis to create a new cis for the WL200 card.

pack_cis -o WL200.dat WL200.cis

I copied it into the /etc/pcmcia/cis folder

cp WL200.dat /etc/pcmcia/cis

and then edited the wlan-ng.conf as follows;

card "Compaq WL200 11Mb/s WLAN PCI Card"
   manfid 0x0138, 0x0002
   cis "cis/WL200.dat" <- this is the key
   bind "prism2_cs"

now when the pcmcia-cs loads the information about the card it uses this cis
instead of what the card has. Bingo!

cat /proc/interrupts

  0: 406985 XT-PIC timer
  1: 1064 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 11 XT-PIC serial
  8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
 11: 50 XT-PIC i82365, prism2_cs <- Bingo!
 13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
 14: 2276 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 1402 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0

I then setup the wlan0 device with;

ifconfig wlan0 inet netmask

I was then able to get the device to assosiate to the AP, but when I tried
to ping anything other then its self I would get;

>>PING ( 56 data bytes
>>ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
>>ping: wrote 64 chars, ret=-1
>>ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
>>ping: wrote 64 chars, ret=-1

I am not sure if this is a related problem or just something I forgot to
setup for networking.
I had to stop there and get some sleep ... but today is just starting! :)
Whew! not bad for someone who only 24 hours ago knew nothing about pcmcia
card services under linux! hehe.

Scott Franzyshen

The Linux WLAN User's Mailing List
For more information about this list see: