Subject: Re: [lwlan-user]: CompaqWL200+CiscoAP+Linux=Not_Working
From: Scott Franzyshen (sfranzyshenlazerlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 14:26:55 CST

Good News!
Lots of coffee & one really late night (4AM) and here is what I got worked
out so far.
I got a response from Vlad from the lwlan-user mailinglist (Thanks Vlad!)
that read;

*Vlad Wrote:
*
*You're having the same problem that I had with a Samsung card (which is
*basically the same as the compaq) - It never asks for an IRQ because in
*Windows it wouldn't need one.
*Mark pointed me to the fact that the CIS is outdated. I'm sure that you
*could get the updated info from either Compaq or Samsung, but I just
started
*using a defferent card altogether.
*
*notice that your /proc/interrupts doesn't list any IRQ's used by prism2_cs
*after you start PCMCIA.

So I ;

cat /proc/interrupts

and ...

           CPU0
  0: 399122 XT-PIC timer
  1: 646 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 11 XT-PIC serial
  8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
 11: 0 XT-PIC i82365 <- sure enough no prism2_cs
 13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
 14: 2103 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 1377 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0

He was right!

I remembered seeing pack_cis in the man pages for dump_cis and I looked into
it.
Turns out that the answer to our problem has been in the pcmcia-cs package
all this time. I think ... Here is what I did.

dump_cis >WL200.cis

Edited the WL200.cis to match the ones found in the etc/cis folder of the
pcmcia-cs source code
striping the stuff off at the top;

Socket 0:
  dev_info
    NULL 0ns, 512b

I also had to remove the lines that read;

  lan_technology wireless
  lan_speed 1 mb/sec
  lan_speed 2 mb/sec
  lan_media 2.4_GHz
  lan_node_id 00 50 8b 46 c0 ab <- still shows up with ifconfig (?)
  lan_connector Closed connector standard

because the pack_cis program couldn't understand them (would like to keep
what the Compaq had? Are these needed?)

then I added;

  irq mask 0xffff [level] <- guessing this would work

I was then able to use the pack_cis to create a new cis for the WL200 card.

pack_cis -o WL200.dat WL200.cis

I copied it into the /etc/pcmcia/cis folder

cp WL200.dat /etc/pcmcia/cis

and then edited the wlan-ng.conf as follows;

card "Compaq WL200 11Mb/s WLAN PCI Card"
   manfid 0x0138, 0x0002
   cis "cis/WL200.dat" <- this is the key
   bind "prism2_cs"

now when the pcmcia-cs loads the information about the card it uses this cis
instead of what the card has. Bingo!

cat /proc/interrupts

           CPU0
  0: 406985 XT-PIC timer
  1: 1064 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  3: 11 XT-PIC serial
  8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
 11: 50 XT-PIC i82365, prism2_cs <- Bingo!
 13: 1 XT-PIC fpu
 14: 2276 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 1402 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0

I then setup the wlan0 device with;

ifconfig wlan0 inet 10.254.15.10 netmask 255.255.255.0

I was then able to get the device to assosiate to the AP, but when I tried
to ping anything other then its self I would get;

ping 10.254.15.20

>>PING 10.254.15.20 (10.254.15.20): 56 data bytes
>>ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
>>ping: wrote 10.254.15.20 64 chars, ret=-1
>>ping: sendto: Operation not permitted
>>ping: wrote 10.254.15.20 64 chars, ret=-1

etc.

I am not sure if this is a related problem or just something I forgot to
setup for networking.
I had to stop there and get some sleep ... but today is just starting! :)
Whew! not bad for someone who only 24 hours ago knew nothing about pcmcia
card services under linux! hehe.

Scott Franzyshen
getwireless.net