Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/finger finger.c
From: Christopher Masto (chrisnetmonger.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 11:40:08 CDT

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 09:30:13AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> : I think we push too many enhancements from current to stable, when we
> : should really only push bug fixes onto the stable branch. The tendency
> : to add enhancements carries the risk of actually creating new bugs in
> : stable which is obviously not what we want to have happen.
>
> Exactly. We shouldn't be merging features at all, unless there's a
> compelling reason, the code has been reviewed by at least two people
> and it has had at least a month or two in current. If you can't find
> two people to review the code, then you can't merge it to stable due
> to lack of interest.

The problem with being too cautious is that stable becomes unusable
and people who shouldn't be running current start moving to it because
stable doesn't support their new laptop.

I think it's important to push _some_ features into stable. Having to
wait several years for the next major "point-oh" release of FreeBSD
(which comes with "point-oh fear" holding it back) is not the best
way to do things. IMO. There's a place between these two extremes
of paranoia and wild abandon, and I think that's where the MFCs should
take place.

--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chrisnetmonger.net        infonetmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/