From: Mark T Roberts (newslettermarktroberts.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 23:46:12 CDT

    The other night I did a nessus security scan on my freeBSD box and I got the
    following warning. I am hopping someone on this mailing list can give me a
    better idea what this warning means.

    Thanks
    Mark

    NESSUS Warning...
    The remote host uses non-random IP IDs, that is, it is
    possible to predict the next value of the ip_id field of
    the ip packets sent by this host.

    An attacker may use this feature to determine if the remote
    host sent a packet in reply to another request. This may be
    used for portscanning and other things.

    Solution : Contact your vendor for a patch
    Risk factor : Low

    To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomoFreeBSD.org