From: David G . Andersen (dandersecs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 08:41:27 CDT

    Eric Anderson just mooed:
    > What does everyone recommend for a general password file cracker? I have been
    > using an old version of crack, but there must be better ones around. I need to
    > crack solaris, freebsd, and linux password hashes. Any recommendations?

    Single-host: John the Ripper

      http://www.openwall.com/john/

    Multi-host: Probably still Crack.

    John will be faster on a single host than Crack on two hosts,
    most likely, but if you've got a host of hosts to throw at it,
    crack is easier to manage.

      -Dave

    --
    work: dgalcs.mit.edu                          me:  dgapobox.com
          MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/