From: Klaus Steden (klauscompt.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 13:50:20 CDT

    > yesterday's -stable and ports tree, rebuilt twice.
    >
    > % pgpk -l randy
    > Type Bits KeyID Created Expires Algorithm Use
    > sec+ 1024 0xB1331439 1994-04-04 ---------- RSA Sign & Encrypt
    > uid Randy Bush <randypsg.com>
    >
    > 1 matching key found
    >
    > Received signal 8.
    >
    > anyone else see this or have a clue?

    Yup. I tried PGP6, too, and found the same problem. Did some digging around
    in the source, and at least with PGP6, I discovered it's a bug in
    pgpRndUnix.c. Specifically, when loading a timer for use in an entropy
    function (I think), there's a call to clock_getres() - using the
    CLOCK_REALTIME clock, filling in a structure that gets returned to the caller
    as 0, which triggers the FPE.

    I tried using CLOCK_VIRTUAL, which stopped the FPE, but returned an error and
    thus didn't generate any randomness.

    Hopefully I've got my terms right - I'm no crypto expert by any stretch, but
    that's what I found to be a problem in PGP6. I suspect something similar may
    be at play in PGP5.

    HTH,
    Klaus

    To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomoFreeBSD.org