[Full-disclosure] Browzar Footprints

From: mikx (mikxmikx.de)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 07:31:39 CDT

Read over on Slashdot about the "no footprints" browser Browzar.
As with every potential new browser in the market I quickly booted
into a virtual machine to check compatibility with my major applications.

A 264KB download sounded way to little for a full browser application.
Not surprisingly Browzar is just a wrapper around the IE rendering engine.

Let's have a look

Download Browzar
Fire up Filemon
Set a filter for "Browzar"
Start Browzar and open "http://www.mikx.de"

As the expected files like ieframe.dll fly by a certain file hits my eyes:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Could it be so easy?

Copy the location string
Open the file on Notepad
Search for "mikx.de" and *whups* there it is :o

Maybe Browzar cleans after itself? So closing Browzar,
opening the index.dat again. Still there.

Wow, that's privacy you can trust.

browzar.com is currently down, so no proper vendor notification so far.

mikx