Neohapsis is currently accepting applications for employment. For more information, please visit our website www.neohapsis.com or email email@example.com
[Full-disclosure] Invision Power Board Multiple Vulnerabilities
From: Rapigator (rapigatoryahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 06:20:48 CDT
Invision Power Board Multiple Vulnerabilities
Affects: IPB <=2.1.7
An attack exists where an admin can be redirected and
forced to execute SQL commands through IPB's SQL
The following requirements must be met for this attack
to take place:
- The database table prefix must be known
- The admin must have access to the SQL Toolbox (any
- The admin must have images and referers turned on in
their browser, and their browser must follow Location
headers (default behaviour for most browsers)
- The admin must view a malicious script as an image
in their browser.
This attack works invisibly to the admin because only
the image is redirected, not the page.
In this method, any user can force the admin to
execute SQL commands.
1. A user sets their avatar to the malicious script's
2. The admin looks up the user's account in the Admin
3. The user's avatar is shown and the admin is
A restricted admin can add any HTML to a forum's
1. A restricted admin adds the malicious script as an
image to a forum's description.
2. Upon going to the "Manage Forums" link in Admin CP,
an unrestricted admin will be redirected and the SQL
will be executed.
Example malicious image script:
//The member id to promote to root admin
$mid = 145;
//The database prefix (usually "ibf_")
$prefix = "ibf_";
$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'], $admin_loc) and $mid)
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/