Re: [Full-disclosure] SSH brute force blocking tool

From: J. Oquendo (silinfiltrated.net)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 16:00:03 CST

Michael Holstein wrote:
>> That specially crafted attempt would be a HUGE raping of TCP/IP. How do
>> you supposed it would be possible for someone to insert 0wn3ed or any
>> other variable outside of an IP address?
>>

> Remember the (in)famous quote "...that vulnerability is purely
> theoretical..."?
>
> I think the point is you don't use $language to split a bunch of fields,
> and then pipe them back through /bin/sh without making sure they're not
> malicious.
>
> Doesn't matter that you can't think of a way to make them malicious ..
> somebody else will find one. It's safer to just assume it'll happen and
> always sanitize variables before you {do_stuff;} with them.
>
> (my $0.02)
>
> ~Mike.

So I ask you too... Find me any Unix derivative that will allow someone
to pass a name, word, place, etc into the 13th column of authlog, then
bypass grep which is grep'ing out for decimals.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
sil . infiltrated net http://www.infiltrated.net

The happiness of society is the end of government.
John Adams