Subject: Re: SysVinit audit: mesg and wall
From: Aidan Kehoe (kehoeatcd.ie)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 14:29:07 CDT

: This fundamentally is because the spray at another tty approach is
: architecturally flawed. Let alone what happens when everyone is using X
: instead.

No, the spray-at-another-tty approach seems fairly sound to me. It's
just the whole assumption that everyone speaks American English that's
the architectural flaw. Maybe we should have cloned Plan 9 instead :)

(Plus some magic in write(1) to check utmp if the target login is from
a DISPLAY, and then to call an X messaging program, of course. ) As for
the tty requiring world write permissions, the tty group idea is
elegant and consistent, from where I'm sitting.

        - Aidan

--
There is no TRUTH. There is no REALITY. There is no CONSISTENCY. There
are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS. I'm very probably wrong. -- BSD fortune(6)