Subject: Re: [suse-security] YP passwd - SuSE 6.3 and Solaris x86
From: Gerhard Sittig (Gerhard.Sittiggmx.net)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 14:26:13 CDT

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 17:40 +0200, Adrian Bellini wrote:

> I have in SuSE 6.3 a fully functional yp system (users can log
> in 'a la NIS') on both Suse and Redhat (sorry !) but when they
> try it from Solaris 2.6/7/8 only root can log in (console of
> course !).

Have you read the comment on MD5 enabled passwords at
installation time? There's an explicit mention of breaking
compatibility against "older" (i.e. non MD5 capable) UNIX
variants, IIRC.

Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow on the Linux boxes to make
sure you use plain DES passwords if you're stuck with NIS. This
is some kind of FAQ, try and read the available doc.

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittiggmx.net