NFR Wizards Archive: Re: FW-1 running on Trusted Solaris 2.5 ?

Re: FW-1 running on Trusted Solaris 2.5 ?

Marcus J. Ranum (mjrnfr.net)
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:55:38 +0000

> It has been said that Trusted Solaris (Orange Book B2-level) runs Off-The-
> Shelf software. Would it then be able to run Checkpoint FW-1 ?

My guess would be that things will break, since the
trusted O/S layer reaches down into the kernel in a
lot of places.

That being said, if you're trying to make a system
that's just going to be a firewall, the B2 capabilities
of T-Solaris aren't going to be used much. The
filtering layer of the firewall sits below the applications,
which is where the trust model is enforced.

Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
<A HREF=http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr>Personal</A>
<A HREF=http://www.nfr.net>Work</A>
<A HREF=http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr/websec>New Book!!</A>