NFR Wizards Archive: Re: R: strong encryption for Europeans

Re: R: strong encryption for Europeans

Andreas Siegert (afxibm.de)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:50:12 +0100

If keys are changed often enough, I think 56 bits is still pretty much ok for
most uses. It depends very much on the lifetime of the data transfered versus
the time needed to crack the key. If the key is changed every 15 minutes (and
I assume a much stronger protection on the key exchange), then the attacker
not only has to deal with finding the key, but also with finding the window in
which the data he is interested in was transferred.

On the other hand, has anyone used the ssh VPNs yet?

cheers
afx

Quoting Franco RUGGIERI (fruggieriselfin.net):

--
Andreas Siegert       afxibm.de / afxbarolo.munich.de.ibm.com / AFX at IPNET
PGP Key:http://www.muc.de/~afx/pubkey.asc, KeyId AB26FD05