NFR Wizards Archive: Re: Q on external router

Re: Q on external router

Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:15:18 -0500 (CDT)

> Thus, in my opinion (but have a look at my email address to see
> that I could be biased ;-) ), the switch can increase the DMZ security
> if:
> - it uses static mapping
> - as you put part of your security in the switch configuration, you
> must obviously secure your switch config (OTP, ACL, management via
> console only, ...)

What about problems that fault the switch itself? We have seen bugs that
crash 3Com switches due to poor IP stack implementation; Cisco is aware of
bugs that affect their Catalyst platforms as well. What assurance do we
have that switches are implemented with the same attention to security as

Thomas H. Ptacek Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"