NFR Wizards Archive: Re: Transparent vs. Non-transparent AGs/SP

Re: Transparent vs. Non-transparent AGs/SPFs/whatever

Ryan Russell (ryanrsybase.com)
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:10:09 -0700

That doesn't reall answer the question I asked. Sure, if I know
ahead of time that my user wants to telnet to port 2300, I can
configure my firewall to route traffic with a destination port
of 2300 through my telnet proxy app, no problem. But What
if I don't know ahead of time what port people will be telnetting
to?

(this is assuming I want to proxy more than 1 protocol... if I'm
only allowing telnet out, then the telnet proxy could handle everything.)

And what if a different one of my users want to do HTTP to
port 2300 on a different host on the Internet?

(Again, the assumtion is that the telnet proxy is smart enough to
know that HTTP doesn't look like a proper telnet... if a telnet
proxy lets HTTP through think that it's just a weird telnet session,
then that's just another circuit-level proxy as far as I'm concerned.)

                         Ryan

P.S. BTW, I think I probably already know the answer to this
thread Ive started, I'm just hoping I'm wrong.