NFR Wizards Archive: Re[2]: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX

Re[2]: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX (Banned by US Mil?

ken_stephensem.fcnbd.com
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:04:16 -0600

     I would seriously question whether the C.O. of the 88th would be happy
     with your disclosure of what they use for a firewall. You may have
     kissed whatever clearance you had good-bye making that public
     statement. Let's be a little careful out here folks.

     Ken Stephens
     Network Security, FCNBD

     This statement is my own and does not reflect the opinion of my
     employer!

>Subject: Re: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX (Banned by US Mil? He
>Author: "Jason L. Snowden" <Jason.Snowdenf-15.wpafb.af.mil> at INTERNET
>Date: 09/23/1998 12:16 PM
>

>>Here we go again! Does anyone have proof of any of this? The subject of
>>FW1 being banned by the US Govt has been brought up, if not here, than on
>>the FW1 mailing list before. To date, it has all been rumor. No one has
>>come forward with proof, either a memo or, directive statememt or otherwise
>>stating this rumor as fact. Yes, the code is Isreali developed. This is
>>the first mention I've seen of "Iraqi-written code". Me thinks this one is
>>starting to take on Urban Legend status.

>Well, as I have said partially in another email, Here at Wright-Patt, the
>88th Comm Group has forbidden us to use FW-1 due to these issues. We have
>Xylan switches, and FW-1 can be integrated at a hardware level directly in the
>switches, so if we could use it, you can bet we would be. The only solution
>that they will support right now is SideWinder.

Jason L. Snowden, CNE-4.11