NFR Wizards Archive: Re: ifconfig down (was Re: Recording slow

Re: ifconfig down (was Re: Recording slow scans

Doug Hughes (dougEng.Auburn.EDU)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:39:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Rob Quinn wrote:

> > Btw, in the past people have often commented about attempts to cut the
> > transmit ethernet cable. This is usually so that a host is "invisible"
> > to others at the ethernet level.
>
> On my Solaris2.6 boxs I can still snoop an interface when it's marked
> down. Is ifconfig down sufficient to stop me from transmitting?

It will stop your machine from answering. That is, it won't answer
ARP requests or pings, or anything. However, I strongly suspect that
if you can read (snoop) then you could easily fashion a program that
could write raw packets out DLPI without a problem.

Doug Hughes Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin Auburn University
                        dougeng.auburn.edu