NFR Wizards Archives: RE: tcpdump installation on unix firewall?

RE: tcpdump installation on unix firewall?

LeGrow, Matt (Matt_LeGrowNAI.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:57:05 -0700

Well tcpdump requires root privilege or needs to be setuid root, or
run as root, in order to set promisc mode and run correctly. So
just having it on the firewall won't do you any harm if you remove
the setuid bit (probably disabled by default anyways).

3DES encrypting a firewall tools directory might be going a little
too far. You should always pay attention to local security. But
generally speaking, if someone has access to your machine other than
the proper authorities - game over, dude.

Matt LeGrow
Network Associates, Inc.
Note : Opinions expressed herein are most certainly NOT that of my