NFR Wizards Archives: RE: "Proactive" Password Checki

RE: "Proactive" Password Checking

Moore, James (James.MooreMSFC.NASA.GOV)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:42:07 -0600

Well, this is probably getting way off-topic, but...

Implementation of MS' sample code is apparently not straightforward. Based
on some material that turned up in the Google search engine for
"passfilt.dll", there may be some interactions between passfilt.dll and some
of NT's "system internals" that require a fair amount of savvy to handle. I
plan on looking into this a little further (when I can find the time); if
anyone's interested they can mail me direct.

I'm not sure I fully understand Alan's point wrt L0phtcrack etc., but I
don't believe password crackers obviate the utility of a tool such as
passfilt.dll.

Jim Moore
256.461.4381

----------- PGP PUBLIC KEY FINGERPRINT ------------
1D9C 3AC3 34E6 EEDF 22B9 7886 7797 6908 048F 049B