Subject: Re: BlackICE and nmap
From: Matt (mattuse.net)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 14:29:56 CDT

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Greg Thomas wrote:

> I recently purchased BlackICE for my Windows box.
> Well, I wanted to test out nmap against BI... Tried
> -sS, but I watched in real time as BI caught
> everything. This was in BI's normal mode. I can only
> imagine what it's like in Paranoid. Anyhow, anybody
> have any way around BI? I'm curious if it's possible.

I have found that fragmenting the scan will evade most IDSes. This can be
done with "nmap -f <hostip>"

Also, some IDSes only look for SYNs as far as portscanning is concerned.
So, if you're doing a FIN scan or an ACK scan, several IDSes will miss it
entirely.

I do'nt know about BlackIce specifically, but if you could do the tests I
just mentioned and report back here or to bugtraq, that would be cool =]

Hope this helps,

ttyl

--
this band is perfect