Re: Interesting 'feature' in IIS 4.0 SMTP Server component.

  • To: NTBUGTRAQLISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM
  • Subject: Re: Interesting 'feature' in IIS 4.0 SMTP Server component.
  • From: Tim Poulsen <Tim_PoulsenZD.COM>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:58:55 -0400
  • Sender: Windows NT BugTraq Mailing List <NTBUGTRAQLISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM>

In his note, Russ Cooper wrote:

> As Seifried points out, there is also no documentation anywhere that
> describes how to disable MS-TLS.
You can edit the metabase to change the port number of the SMTPS service.
MetaEdit, the metabase editor, is available with the IIS4 resource kit.
Open the \LM\SmtpSvc\1\ key. There are two values that look appropriate,
SecureBindings and RemoteSmtpSecurePort. Change the values of these from
465 to another value of your choice. (If you're running more than one SMTP
"site" you will need to change the number "1" in the key noted above to
match the appropriate number for your SMTP site.)

I suppose you could also delete these values, however, I have no idea what
the ramifications of doing so would be -- do this at your own risk
(standard disclaimers apply).
--
Tim Poulsen      Sr. Technical Writer, Intranet Webmaster
Work: mailto:tim_poulsenzd.com      Ziff-Davis Education