Re: MS Security Bulletin MS98-012, security updates for Micr

Re: MS Security Bulletin MS98-012, security updates for Microsoft PPT P

  • To: NTBUGTRAQLISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM
  • Subject: Re: MS Security Bulletin MS98-012, security updates for Microsoft PPT P
  • From: Dwaine Wright <dwaineWRITEME.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:19:40 -0700
  • Sender: Windows NT BugTraq Mailing List <NTBUGTRAQLISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM>

Chuck Flink wrote:

> If you want to work with more complete IP filtering services than the
> limited set on NT 4.0, add RRAS to your configuration. Unfortunately,
> RRAS doesn't replace the GUI interface you're familiar with, it just
> makes it meaningless while adding another interface under the RRAS
> manager GUI.

I noticed this too.  I also noticed the apparent lack of any UNINSTALL
procedures to cleanly go back to RAS.  I installed RRAS at home to get
familiar with it, but uninstalling doesn't restore RAS well at all.  Anyone

have comments/suggestions?

> ...I wish SP4 would integrate RRAS cleanly with NT4
> and Proxy 2.0, and clearly explain how to configure those 3 together
> to give optimum security while maintaining Internet proxy access.
> Can anyone point me to a good reference?

These should help:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q183/5/37.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/9/24.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q176/6/89.asp