Subject: Re: Phantom Deleted Files in NT 4.0 SP4
From: Dave Warren (maillistDEVILSPLAYGROUND.NET)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 22:34:35 CDT

> "Wood, Chuck" wrote:
> >
> > We have been experiencing an intermittent problem since installing SP4
on NT
> > 4.0.
> > Occasionally, when a user deletes a file within a server share, a
"phantom"
> > of the file remains visible.
> [...]
> According to Microsoft it is "by design":
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/1/99.asp

Back to the original question, anyone found a workaround for this bug?

I still call it a bug because if I delete a file, I'm probably not kidding
and really do want it deleted.

IIS seems to keep file handles open on files even when it's not using them,
and if I delete the file, then restart IIS, it doesn't disappear. A reboot
will take care of it. If I happen to remember to kill IIS first, then all
is well. In a lot of cases, I'm putting a new copy of the file in, via a
script, and shutting down IIS is unacceptable due to it's slow recovery
time... and it sucks to reboot my server hourly because of this bug, or to
allow my web server to be unable to access default.htm

Anyone found a workaround or solution, other then calling it "by design"?