From: Nick Holland (nickholland-consulting.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 11:46:37 CST

    Try this...

    >> OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 1.28
    boot> boot -c
    <bla, bla, bla>
    User Kernel Config
    UKC> disable pciide*
     69 pciide* disabled
    UKC> quit

    system will now boot up without pciide (the (U)DMA IDE driver). It
    will then fall back to the wdc(4) driver, the ISA-ish PIO driver.

    Be forewarned that if the board is broke and won't do UDMA, I'm not
    betting that it will work doing PIO, either...there just isn't much
    redundancy IBM PC decended computers.

    If this works, though, you can either 1) Build a new kernel with no
    pciide driver installed or 2) disable pciide permanently using the
    config command. ('man 8 config').

    Nick.

    --
    http://www.holland-consulting.net/