Re: Star & OpenBSD

From: Jolan Luff (jolanprotection.cx)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 14:59:36 CST

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:15:31PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Last night, I did convert star from a GPL tool into a CDDL
> tool. This now makes star compliant with the BSD philosophy.
>
> Is there a chance to have star integrated into OpenBSD?

well it seems you've violated your own license:

    4.3. Modified Versions.

    When You are an Initial Developer and You want to create a new
    license for Your Original Software, You may create and use a
    modified version of this License if You: (a) rename the license
    and remove any references to the name of the license steward
    (except to note that the license differs from this License); and
    (b) otherwise make it clear that the license contains terms which
    differ from this License.

~/star-1.5$ grep "Sun Microsystems" CDDL.Schily.txt
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. is the initial license steward and may

also, this clause is very anti-BSD/very GPL:

    3.1. Availability of Source Code.

    Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make
    available in Executable form must also be made available in Source
    Code form and that Source Code form must be distributed only under
    the terms of this License. You must include a copy of this
    License with every copy of the Source Code form of the Covered
    Software You distribute or otherwise make available. You must
    inform recipients of any such Covered Software in Executable form
    as to how they can obtain such Covered Software in Source Code
    form in a reasonable manner on or through a medium customarily
    used for software exchange.

please take a look at the openbsd copyright policy:

http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html

and the license template for openbsd:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/share/misc/license.template

what you are presenting is not at all compliant with the BSD philosophy.

- jolan