Re: CGI : Shell Script

From: russell (russelldotplan.dyndns.org)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 18:29:21 CDT

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> Has anyone experimented with using a set of shell scripts as CGI under the
> stock Apache delivered with
> OpenBSD?

I did.

I wanted to learn more involved shell programing.
and perhaps a little about some of the old unix languages.

so I built this mini wikipedia ish thing
out of ksh, sed awk rcs and m4.
(collaborative revision controlled cms)

It is a complete mess, I don't think I would be able to sleep at
night if it were out in the wild.

but it actually works quite well, humming along on the old p133 I keep
it on.

Regarding the collective horror with using shell scripts as cgi. why?
Now mine is not safe but mainly I think thats because of the m4 thrown
in there. If you watch your inputs it should be fine.

And ksh is a static executable, I would think it would run fine in a
chroot. I would hate, however, to do a lot of string processing using
only ksh. main reason for m4 being in there was template processing.

If there is any scientific curiosity just ask and I can send a copy.

But it ru