Re: which monitoring do you use (on OpenBSD)

From: Jason Dixon (jasondixongroup.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2010 - 23:01:27 CDT

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:07:53PM +0200, Jiri B. wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:05:51 -0400
> Jason Dixon <jasondixongroup.net> wrote:
>
> > http://omniti.com/video/noit-oscon-demo
>
> Sorry no flash :)
>
> Some screenshots should be sufficient for this products, interesting is
> there are no screenshots except that architecture picture.

Here's a quick one I just grabbed. We don't actively use Reconnoiter
these days as much as we do Circonus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78527903N00/4892326857/

> Does it have some event console? So an operator can watch it 24x7 and
> see if something goes wrong and do a repair action?

It has support for alerting in stratcon (iirc), but no fault detection
functionality is exposed in Reconnoiter's current web UI.

> It's nice it can act as snmp trap daemon... A lot of SAN devices have
> SNMP and Vmware ESXes can make good monitoring via SNMP as well.
>
> In our enterprise environment we have huge operators centers which
> watch 24x7 Tivoli Enteprise Console (yeah, oooold shite), but what I
> saw is that one can right client on an event and run an action directly
> from event console (OK, it is not used at all but nice feature and you
> exclude possibility to fuck up something just with a similar but bad
> commmand).

P.S. Sorry for the slow response, been enjoying my vacation. :)

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting