Re: Pragmatics of Following current

From: Bret S. Lambert (bret.lambertgmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2010 - 11:11:50 CDT

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:02:11PM -0400, Luis Useche wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been meaning to follow current for a couple of weeks now. I read the
> "Building Sources" page and it seems like I should follow the process of:
> cvs up src xenocara ports -> compile -> install, where install includes
> merging of configuration files. Moreover, I should also keep an eye on the
> "Following -current" webpage for any change I should make. This looks like a
> lot of work every-time you run cvs up (mainly the compilation of ports and
> merging of conf files).
>
> I was wondering how do you usually work on current and if you all follow
> this process through-fully. If not, what kind of tricks do you use to make
> the process easier.
>
> For now, I am using snapshots with binary packages.

Quite honestly, that's more useful, as snapshots

a) are generally close enough to -current that you're more or less
   running -current anyway; and

b) sometimes contain diffs which haven't made -current but need testing,
   which means that you're actually running a more -current -current at times

> Thanks in advance,

You're welcome...from *the future*

- Bert