OSEC

Neohapsis is currently accepting applications for employment. For more information, please visit our website www.neohapsis.com or email hr@neohapsis.com
Re: On NEC (AileNX) AL20C bsd.rd reboots before reaching install prompt

From: Kenneth R Westerback (kwesterbackrogers.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 10:34:05 CDT


On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:09:44AM +0900, k z wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On NEC (AileNX) AL20C bsd.rd reboots before reaching install prompt.
> Is anyone interested in this?
>
> Sorry for the noise if yet another user error.

You need a newer snapshot. This was (or at least appears to be) a known and
resolved issue, one of GCC4's surprise presents as I recall.

.... Ken

>
> ----------
> boot> boot /bsd.rd
> booting hd0a:/bsd.rd: 5869116+942776 [61+224832+212939]=0x6ea0dc
> entry point at 0x200120
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
> The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1995-2010 OpenBSD. All rights reserved. http://www.OpenBSD.org
>
> OpenBSD 4.8 (RAMDISK_CD) #88: Wed Aug 11 10:26:02 MDT 2010
> deraadti386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD
> cpu0: Intel Pentium/MMX ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 201 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX
> real mem = 167276544 (159MB)
> avail mem = 157679616 (150MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 07/15/95, BIOS32 rev. 0 0xfdb80
> apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
> pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 0xf0000/0x10000
> pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 0xf61c0/96 (4 entries)
> pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371 ISA and IDE" rev 0x00)
> pcibios0: PCI bus #2 is the last bus
> bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xc000
> cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82439TX System" rev 0x01
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Neomagic Magicgraph NM2160" rev 0x00
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> cbb0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> cbb1 at pci0 dev 3 function 1 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x01
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
> channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
> wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <HTS424040M9AT00>
> wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 38154MB, 78140160 sectors
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
> pciide0: channel 1 ignored (disabled)
> uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 3
> "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x01 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured
> "AT&T/Lucent K56flex DSVD LTMODEM" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
> not configured
> cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
> cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
> cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
> cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 2 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia1 at cardslot1
> isa0 at pcib0
> isadma0 at isa0
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com0: console
> com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8/8 irq 5: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
> isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x243
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0006, , " at isapnp0 port 0x800/8
> not configured
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS1869, , " at isapnp0 port
> 0x220/16,0x388/4,0x330/2 irq 5 drq 1,0 not configured
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0001, , " at isapnp0 port 0x201/1
> not configured
> usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
> biomask ffcd netmask ffcd ttymask ffff
> rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
>
> ----------
> after install to that wd0 on another machine, bsd does work nicely:
>
> OpenBSD 4.8 (GENERIC) #135: Wed Aug 11 10:08:38 MDT 2010
> deraadti386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: Intel Pentium/MMX ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 201 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX
> real mem = 167276544 (159MB)
> avail mem = 154632192 (147MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 07/15/95, BIOS32 rev. 0 0xfdb80
> apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
> apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
> pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 0xf0000/0x10000
> pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 0xf61c0/96 (4 entries)
> pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371 ISA and IDE" rev 0x00)
> pcibios0: PCI bus #2 is the last bus
> bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xc000
> cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82439TX System" rev 0x01
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Neomagic Magicgraph NM2160" rev 0x00
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> cbb0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> cbb1 at pci0 dev 3 function 1 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> piixpcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x01
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
> channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
> wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <HTS424040M9AT00>
> wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 38154MB, 78140160 sectors
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
> pciide0: channel 1 ignored (disabled)
> uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 3
> piixpm0 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x01: SMI
> iic0 at piixpm0
> iic0: addr 0x18 00=38 01=00 02=0a 03=00 04=fe 05=10 06=00 07=00 08=00
> 09=00 0a=91 0b=f0 0d=00 0e=00 0f=00 10=00 11=00 12=00 13=38 14=00
> 15=00 16=00 17=00 18=00 19=00 1a=00 1b=00 1c=00 1d=00 1e=00 1f=00
> words 00=38ff 01=0000 02=0a00 03=0041 04=feff 05=10a0 06=0088 07=0000
> lmtemp0 at iic0 addr 0x48: lm75
> "AT&T/Lucent K56flex DSVD LTMODEM" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
> not configured
> cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
> cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
> cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
> cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 2 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia1 at cardslot1
> isa0 at piixpcib0
> isadma0 at isa0
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com0: console
> com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8/8 irq 5: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
> wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
> pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
> spkr0 at pcppi0
> lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
> isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x283
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0006, , " at isapnp0 port 0x800/8
> not configured
> ess0 at isapnp0 "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS1869, , " port
> 0x220/16,0x388/4,0x330/2 irq 5 drq 1,0: essmatch failed
> joy0 at isapnp0 "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0001, , " port
> 0x201/1
> usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
> biomask ef4d netmask ef4d ttymask ffff
> wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0 "BUFFALO, WLI-PCM-L11G, Version 01.01" port 0xa000/64
> wi0: Firmware 6.16 variant 1, address <...>
> softraid0 at root
> root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
>
> ----------
> compiled bsd.rd with these options does boot up to the
> install prompt (so far did not try if it will not reboot
> during install):
>
> in RAMDISK_CD:
> makeoptions DEBUG="-g"
> option APMDEBUG
>
> boot> boot /bsd.rd.dev
> booting hd0a:/bsd.rd.dev: 5873212+942784 [61+224864+213083]=0x6eb194
> entry point at 0x200120
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
> The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1995-2010 OpenBSD. All rights reserved. http://www.OpenBSD.org
>
> OpenBSD 4.8-current (RAMDISK_CD) #0: Mon Aug 30 20:55:54 JST 2010
> rooti386_dev.my.domain:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD
> cpu0: Intel Pentium/MMX ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 201 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX
> real mem = 167276544 (159MB)
> avail mem = 157675520 (150MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 07/15/95, BIOS32 rev. 0 0xfdb80
> apminfo: 30102, code f0000[ffff]/f0000[ffff], data 400[bff], ept ef50
> apm0 at bios0: flags 30102 code 32:f0000/d08d8000[ffff]
> 16:f0000/d08d8000[ffff] data 400/d4c0a400/bff ep ef50 (38:d08e6f50)
> apm0: Power Management spec V1.2
> pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 0xf0000/0x10000
> pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 0xf61c0/96 (4 entries)
> pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371 ISA and IDE" rev 0x00)
> pcibios0: PCI bus #2 is the last bus
> bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xc000
> cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82439TX System" rev 0x01
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Neomagic Magicgraph NM2160" rev 0x00
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> cbb0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> cbb1 at pci0 dev 3 function 1 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x01
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
> channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
> wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <HTS424040M9AT00>
> wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 38154MB, 78140160 sectors
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
> pciide0: channel 1 ignored (disabled)
> uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 3
> "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x01 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured
> "AT&T/Lucent K56flex DSVD LTMODEM" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
> not configured
> cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
> cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
> cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
> cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 2 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia1 at cardslot1
> isa0 at pcib0
> isadma0 at isa0
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com0: console
> com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8/8 irq 5: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
> isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x283
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0006, , " at isapnp0 port 0x800/8
> not configured
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS1869, , " at isapnp0 port
> 0x220/16,0x388/4,0x330/2 irq 5 drq 1,0 not configured
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0001, , " at isapnp0 port 0x201/1
> not configured
> usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
> biomask ffcd netmask ffcd ttymask ffff
> rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
> wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0 "BUFFALO, WLI-PCM-L11G, Version 01.01" port 0xa000/64
> wi0: Firmware 6.16 variant 1, address <...>
> softraid0 at root
> root on rd0a swap on rd0b dump on rd0b
> erase ^?, werase ^W, kill ^U, intr ^C, status ^T
>
> Welcome to the OpenBSD/i386 4.8 installation program.
> (I)nstall, (U)pgrade or (S)hell?
>
>
> ----------
> snapshot bsd.rd still reboots after rd0:
>
> boot> boot /bsd.rd.current
> booting hd0a:/bsd.rd.current: 5869116+942776 [61+224832+212939]=0x6ea0dc
> entry point at 0x200120
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
> The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1995-2010 OpenBSD. All rights reserved. http://www.OpenBSD.org
>
> OpenBSD 4.8 (RAMDISK_CD) #88: Wed Aug 11 10:26:02 MDT 2010
> deraadti386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/RAMDISK_CD
> cpu0: Intel Pentium/MMX ("GenuineIntel" 586-class) 201 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX
> real mem = 167276544 (159MB)
> avail mem = 157679616 (150MB)
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 07/15/95, BIOS32 rev. 0 0xfdb80
> apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
> pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 0xf0000/0x10000
> pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 0xf61c0/96 (4 entries)
> pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:07:0 ("Intel 82371 ISA and IDE" rev 0x00)
> pcibios0: PCI bus #2 is the last bus
> bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0xc000
> cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
> cpu0: F00F bug workaround installed
> pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (bios)
> pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82439TX System" rev 0x01
> vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Neomagic Magicgraph NM2160" rev 0x00
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> cbb0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> cbb1 at pci0 dev 3 function 1 "TI PCI1131 CardBus" rev 0x01: irq 11
> pcib0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x01
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
> channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
> wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <HTS424040M9AT00>
> wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA48, 38154MB, 78140160 sectors
> wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
> pciide0: channel 1 ignored (disabled)
> uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 3
> "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x01 at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured
> "AT&T/Lucent K56flex DSVD LTMODEM" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
> not configured
> cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
> cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia0 at cardslot0
> cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
> cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 2 device 0 cacheline 0x0, lattimer 0x20
> pcmcia1 at cardslot1
> isa0 at pcib0
> isadma0 at isa0
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com0: console
> com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8/8 irq 5: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
> isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x283
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0006, , " at isapnp0 port 0x800/8
> not configured
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS1869, , " at isapnp0 port
> 0x220/16,0x388/4,0x330/2 irq 5 drq 1,0 not configured
> "ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioD, ESS0001, , " at isapnp0 port 0x201/1
> not configured
> usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0 "Intel UHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
> biomask ffcd netmask ffcd ttymask ffff
> rd0: fixed, 3800 blocks
>
>
>
> openbsd user