From: Dumas Patrice (dumascentre-cired.fr)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:50:28 CST

    Hi,

    I have just upgraded my redhat box from a 7.0 (with lots of 7.1 and 7.2 rpm) to
    7.2. I start X from the console using startx. I did it without problem just one
    time. Now I can only start X as root. As a user, I get:

    Fatal server error:
    PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
            Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

    I searched a bit on the web and I found my problem risen a lot of times, but I
    haven't found a solution. I also posted this question on other mailing lists
    (redhat-list and xfree86-list hosted by redhat) but I haven't have any solution
    yet.

    /dev/console is in mode 600 owned by root
    /var/run/console.lock is present in mode 600 owned by root
    /var/run/console contains a file with name the name of the user currently
    logged, owned by root with perms 600

    the /etc/security/console.perms, /etc/pam.d/xserver are correct, and there is
    nobody logged in when the user log in.

    Any idea ?

    Pat